• Question: What qualifications did you need to become an engineer?

    Asked by Mchillshaf to Ian on 22 Jun 2018.
    • Photo: Ian Jones

      Ian Jones answered on 22 Jun 2018:

      To become a Chartered Engineer (that’s the professional recognition) you need to do a degree in an engineering / science / maths subject. Then you need 3 years work experience in a qualifying engineering job. You can then apply to become a member of an accredited professional engineering body such as the IET (Institute of Engineering Technology) or IMechE (Institute of Mechanical Engineers) for example. Once you are a member, you can become a member of the Engineering Council and have the letters CEng (Chartered Engineer) after your name.

      So when I write my name, I can write: Ian Jones BSc (Hons) MIET CEng. That means I have a degree(with Honours), I’m a member of the IET and I’m a Chartered Engineer.